[techtalk] Permissions

Carolyn Jarie Getter cgetter at mtholyoke.edu
Mon Jun 19 01:46:23 EST 2000

Someone please tell me there exists an explanation of file and directory
permissions that will make them make sense!  I keep thinking that I understand
them, but then I find myself in a tangle that I am sure is caused by improper
permissions.  (I am still -- after three months or so -- trying to get assorted
apps just installed!)  After managing to mess myself up so royally that the
only way out was a reinstall (yet again), I nearly caved in and went back to
that Blue Screen OS today.  *shudder*

I have done searches online, but I can't seem to find anything more than the
most basic information (r = read, ....), which I already know.  There has got to
be more than that to the darned things.

Carolyn