[techtalk] know of a linux-friendly isp in la?

Robert Wade feline at brokersys.com
Wed Jun 7 16:58:43 EST 2000

There's also the fact that most linux users don't really need support from the
place they're buying the service from, every linux book there is tells you how to
hook up with ppp, cable, and so on. There's also the LDP HOWTOs which are
terriffic (and very comprehensive).

There're also things like kppp and x-isp, and ppp-go (slackware) which make
everything a lot easier. Even in the ppp scripts (ppp-on and such) there're
comment lines that pretty much tell you what you're using.

Funny experience, I decided to cross over from mindspring to a little local isp
that I'd seen advertised on a lot of BBSs (I think they actually sponsored the
BBSs) because mindspring was a pain in the ass and rather slow. I call them up,
get an account with them. Then I ask them for the DNS servers, the woman on the
phone _refused_ to give me them, citing that they used server-assigned dns and
wins and all that stuff (I just found out what all this shit is while setting this
up with DUN, yes, DUN does suck in case y'all haven't had to use it). I stayed on
the phone for about thirty minutes explaining what linux is and why this server
assigned stuff wouldn't work with Linux (perhaps it will with modification, but I
don't know about it). She finnally said that she didn't know the dns server ips,
and would have someone call me tommarow...