[techtalk] Web programming and nomic

Sharon Souter disc at sunlink.net
Mon Jun 5 19:57:21 EST 2000

Hi,

Just to add a bit to Jillian's fine response. PHP is great at authentication
too. There isn't much that it can't do compared to perl. Speaking from
personal experience and coming from a background of C++, a dabble of Java
and spending way too much tyme learning perl...PHP4Zend is like a breath of
fresh air for me. I found it much easier to learn and work with. Not that
the previous experience didn't help though.

The syntax is so much cleaner and it just seems faster to me when doing web
database work. The code itself is parsed on the server, but you can write it
right within your html pages (which is just way too kewl to me ;).
Actually, I learned more in one week with PHP than I did fighting for months
with perl and the DBI. I have Julie Meloni to thank for that though. I
picked up a copy of PHP Essentials, read it and reread it while doing all
the examples. It is an excellent book, and I highly recommend it! It is a
down to earth and truly functional, get the job done type of read. I am
hooked! Not only that...Julie maintains the book's web site that provides an
additional wealth of knowledge and code samples. She actually even took the
tyme out to post up to the minute instructions for installing version 4.0.0
when it came out 2 weeks ago. I have never experienced this before, and I
must say I was way impressed! (and no...she is not paying me to say this.
LOL!!!)

Not only is this an open source, cross-platform language, but it can
interface to just about any database. In my research, I understand the
newest version of MySQL does in fact support transactions and subselects are
on the list to be incorporated. I however, have not had a use for those so
far.

Seriously, if you are doing any kind of web database, you can't go wrong
with the powerful and flexible combination of PHP, MySQL & of
course...Apache ;)  Not only is this a cross-platform language, but it can
interface to just about any database.

Good Luck,
Sharon