[techtalk] core file

Gregory Conron gconron at hfx.andara.com
Sun Jun 4 14:12:17 EST 2000

On Sun, 04 Jun 2000, Samantha Jo Moore wrote:
> > Will someone please clue me in on the "core" files that show up in
> > many of my directories.  What are they?  Where do they come from?
>
> Core files are memory dumps from programs that crash.  These files are
> usually used further by a programer using a debugger to figure out
> what went wrong with the program that failed.  If you are not a programer
> then there's really not a whole lot of need for these files.  You can
> safely remove them.  An easy command to do this is:
>
>  find / -name core -exec rm {} \;
>
> This does a find from the root directory for any files named core and
> then executes a rm command for each one found.

You may want to tack a -type f on that since /proc/sys/net/core
exists
(the command would be find / -name core -type f -exec rm {} \;)
Granted, 'rm' wouldn't delete a directory unless you have -rf
after it, but better safe than sorry :)

Cheers,
GC
--
There is something inherently wrong with the world when Bill Gates is a
famous billionaire and Dennis Ritchie lives in relative obscurity.