[techtalk] core file

steph steph at patnsteph.net
Sun Jun 4 18:20:05 EST 2000

Samantha Jo Moore:
=
=  find / -name core -exec rm {} \;
=
= This does a find from the root directory for any files named core and
= then executes a rm command for each one found.
=

Once you know what's on your system this is safe enough.  You
might be interested in what's core dumping though, and whether
it's preventable.  The command

file core

will tell you what crashed.

Also, in a discussion I had last week about putting SID names
into the .dbf files of Oracle databases, one of my colleagues
told me a horror story where part of the SID was called
'core' which led to the database being wiped out when the above
command was run.

steph