[techtalk] debian dselect headache...

Weilbacher, Katie, CON, OASD(HA)/TMA Katie.Weilbacher at tma.osd.mil
Fri Jul 28 13:29:37 EST 2000

<pulling hair out>

hey ya'll... i'm currently installing debian on a laptop (a dell latitude
xpi cd, a cheapy i got off ebay) and the install is done, but i'm trying to
use dselect to install the packages... and its making me insane!

i entered the cdrom directory under "access" but then when i try to "update"
i get:

	ERROR unable to find < directory i entered that is correct >
packages.gz
	No such file or directory.
	Update available list script returned error exit status 1.
	Press RETURN to continue.

does anyone have a CLUE what i'm doing wrong here? i'm trying to get the
packages off a cd. could this be causing a problem? the cd wasn't bootable
for the install & i had to use a boot diskette to get THAT to work.

i'm coming from a RH background, and this is my first experience with
Debian.. i wouldn't think mounting cds would be any different (or if that
would even affect it), but if anyone has a clue, please lemme know!! :)

thanks a bunch!

katie