[techtalk] *nix comparisons?

Robert Wade feline at brokersys.com
Mon Jul 17 04:03:19 EST 2000

there's also ports, which is my favorite feature of *BSD. There're several
package systems for Linux (RPM, DEB, slack, whatever), but none of them
work too good if you're using both the package system, and you're
compiling tarballs, the key libs don't tend to work to weel. This is
esspeccially true with rpm (which is why I happily threw red hat out the
window when I had the chance).

But with ports, it takes a more 'normal' installation route, by compiling
everything from source (that the soruce is available for, of course) and
then installing it and keeping track of the installation. You can add,
remove, and do all that neato stuff with ports, but everything seems to
work fine.

Another thing I like about *bsd (and the one I use, FreeBSD) isn't as
segmentated as Linux is. Sure, the bsds have been segmented forever, but
they're completely different operating systems. Linux, for all it's
popularity is too damn segmentated for me. With the bsds, you learn one
command in freebsd, and it sticks. If you're using red hat one day, and
slack the next, you've got quite a few things to get down (this works the
other way too, slack to red hat or whatever), which is why I like *BSD,
the unification.

Robert Wade