[techtalk] *nix comparisons?

curious curious at curious.org
Mon Jul 17 00:31:22 EST 2000

High level over view of bsd vs. linux:
(this isn't a pro/con thing just an overview.. I belive every system has
it's place)

License
linux uses the GNU license the BSD uses BSD licence....
this means that anyone can include bsd w/out including source in a
commercial package..

Development model:
BSD: official versions are developed and maintained by group of
developers.. the development tends to be slower.. and well planned

OpenBSD:tends to go beyond this.. they are extremly security anal.. if a
bug is found in one piece of code.. it's assumed that a similar bug would
be found else where so they comb the code to find similar bugs... OpenBSD
also includes encryption components built into the core of the OS

Linux:has a very open development family.. it's direction (though somewhat
limited by linus) is setup so that those who contribute the most code
steer the direction of the OS

Age:
BSD is based the original code of the orginial BSD unix..
linux is built from scratch starting in 92

typical "usage" (this is very subjective):
NetBSD:to provide a unix OS on every platform possible
FreeBSD:to provide a highquality BSDOS on select platforms (initialy only
intel based) for general/server use
OpenBSD:to provite a highly secure / limited functionality (ie. security
over function) typical used in servers / IDS appliances / and overly
parinoid user's boxes :)
Linux:to provide whatever functionalty users want :) generaluse/server

Ease of install:
NetBSD(haven't done it.. I would guess difficualt would be very dependant
on the hardware your trying to install it on)
OpenBSD: pretty tricky :)
FreeBSD - about equal to a slackware install infact some of the menus look
very alike
Linux: depends on distro/hardware my ranking: hardest first:(on ideal
hardware)
debian, slackware, RedHat, Mandrake, Storm, SUSE, Caldera, Corel

 \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign      curious at curious.org
  X   - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail     http://www.curious.org/
 / \  - NO Word docs in e-mail    "This quote is false." -anon