[techtalk] *nix comparisons?

Lilly S. lilly at shellyeah.org
Mon Jul 17 00:54:01 EST 2000

I would be interested in this as well. For the last two years+ I have been
trying to install various versions of Red Hat, to no avail. The problem is
dual boot. I installed Red Hat on two machines at work, and they work like
a charm. I tried today to install Mandrake 7.1 today because it came with
Maximum Linux, and it worked on the first try. The main difference between
the two installations was that in Mandrake it kept hda and hdc seperate in
their listing, and had an extremely useful feature called "suggest
partition", which had Linux had, it would have saved me and many other
people tons of hours, and hundreds of dollars (killed the partition table
twice, and cost me about $400 to repair it).

Now, my problem is I have Mandrake, and I have never used it before. What
should I expect? Is it that radically different from Red Hat? DOes it
really matter in the end what version I have?

Thanks,

Lilly