[techtalk] Re: Problems with two ethernet cards

Justin Zygmont jzygmont at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 10 19:05:21 EST 2000

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, bill t wrote:

> Here is the situation.
>
> I am building a firewall with an old 486 33 Mhz.
> Motherboard = ???
> ram = 20 M
> hd = 800 M
>  2 3com 3c509 ethernet cards
>  1 56 k zircon internal modem
>
> The problem.
> The network hangs.
> if one ethernet card is started I can ping the test machine easily. When the
> second is turned on everything freezes.
>
> Questions
>
> Has anyone seen this before?
> Is there a fix?

Yes.  I had the EXACT same problem.  Your 3c509's are defaulting to IRQ 10
since they are PnP.  My solution was to but a jumpered SMC card for $5 and
set it's IRQ to something other that 10.  The remaining 3com will work
fine.  The 3coms will chose IRQ 10 regardless of any software settings.

hope this helps...