[techtalk] yet another solaris question ...

Chris J/#6 sixie at nccnet.co.uk
Sat Jul 8 16:39:58 EST 2000

Magni wrote:
> An alternative to start another shell when logging in, is to make an
> alternative root-user, feks. roottsch with tcsh as shell. This means you
> have to keep an eye on logins from two users (I presume you keep an eye
> on when and from where root is logging in..), but the advantage is that
> advantage is also that you may want to run shell commands from a central
> server on all your boxes of different OS and since different OS tends to
> have different root shells the command will often fail if root on remote
> box has fex. csh as shell. So making a rootbash on all the servers and
> then send the commands to this user may be nice.
> (Of course this isn't really necessary for normal "home computer users",
> but it's really nice in an environment with 4+ OSes.)

As an addenum to this :) If you do this, you may, if it suits your
environment, give root a locked password ... this won't cause any problems
for people logging in as root because you've set up rootbash, roottcsh or
whatever. Okay, you still need to keep an eye for root logins, but to a
lesser extent. *BUT* if you do see a root login, it's probably an indication
someone has broken into your box...so it could work as a vague security alert
:)

Chris...

--
    / "(it is) crucial that we learn the difference / sixie at nccnet.co.uk  \