[techtalk] yet another solaris question ...

Magni Onsoien magnio at pvv.ntnu.no
Sat Jul 8 14:53:22 EST 2000

Chris J/#6:

> One hint -- in general, changing the shell for root is a bad thing...some
> Unixes don't like it, as some tools assume the root shell will be /bin/sh
> (cron is one example). Now, you didn't say which shell you were changing, but
> it sounds like the root shell.

An alternative to start another shell when logging in, is to make an
alternative root-user, feks. roottsch with tcsh as shell. This means you
have to keep an eye on logins from two users (I presume you keep an eye
on when and from where root is logging in..), but the advantage is that
advantage is also that you may want to run shell commands from a central
server on all your boxes of different OS and since different OS tends to
have different root shells the command will often fail if root on remote
box has fex. csh as shell. So making a rootbash on all the servers and
then send the commands to this user may be nice.
(Of course this isn't really necessary for normal "home computer users",
but it's really nice in an environment with 4+ OSes.)

Magni :)
--
ulimit is good for you.