[techtalk] yet another solaris question ...

Susannah D. Rosenberg indrani at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 7 14:57:34 EST 2000

Amanda Owens wrote:

> You should be able to set your path in a .bashrc or .cshrc file (depending
> on your shell, I suppose - I seem to have both on my linux box at home,
> though we run from a .cshrc file at work).
>
> In a .bashrc the line would be:
>
> export PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin
>
> While a .cshrc would use:
> set PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin
> or
> setenv PATH /usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin
>
> Given that you're running tcsh, you'll probably need the .cshrc file. This
> file is also good for setting up aliases and the like.

yep, but a small addendum: it's probably better to do
set PATH=$PATH:/extra/stuff/goes/here:/more/stuff/here/too
then to just copy the existing path and then add to it; that way, if
various sysadminny things need to modify the path that's in /etc/passwd,
they still can, and the .cshrc just sources the standard path and adds
to it.

(um, the syntax for that may be slightly off. i use bash more or less
exclusively)