[techtalk] RE: mass useradd

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at hereandnow.netorg
Thu Jul 6 12:55:59 EST 2000

Hey all-

Just giving a much delayed update to this...there is a built-in command (at
least there is on my RHL 6.x system) called newusers.  Do a man newusers for
syntax, but basically it reads in a file of usernames and passwords, along
with other information (expiration, group, etc), and creates the users in a
batch!  Exactly what I needed!  So discard the icky perl code I posted
earlier; this is better!!!

Thanks, Aaron, for pointing me to chpasswd...that's what pointed to
newusers. 8-)

-Brian

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 04:35:37PM -0500, Aaron Malone wrote:

> As a matter of fact, there's a program that does exactly what you're
> looking for: chpasswd(8).  It takes a file of format:

Except my sleep-addled brain just realized you wanted *add* a bunch of
users, not change their passwords.  Sorry.  Well, maybe someone else
needs to know how to do this.

If anyone is still interested, I can post a python script that will
add multiple users -- just let me know.

--
Aaron Malone (aaron at semo.net)
System Administrator                  "Of course I'm crazy, but that