[techtalk] web+ (free version)

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Mon Jan 31 00:59:39 EST 2000

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, aprilk wrote:

> Mom has PHP on her computer, is not a programmer and doesn't even
> pretend to try(unless html, that is). I haven't even learned it yet.

It's simple. It looks like a mixture of C and perl with OO-mechanisms (if
you wish, you can ignore it and go the procedural way). There are a lot of
"already made" stuff (call it "libraries") that can take a great part of
programming from your shoulders.

> I'm trying to help her get this program she wants, running properly.

I'm interested in how this web+ thing should do e-commerce "out of the
box" -- I had the impression that you had to do some database stuff to get
e-commerce stuff going (and that to get this correct was the hard part
rather than coding it in C/perl/PHP/whatever). Could you give details (to
web+) and what makes it so easy?

> At some time future I will try to learn those fun languages but right
> now to many things are going for me to start.

I've been experimenting with PHP for just a week now. I've done db access
in C and perl before (and much of it) and this is as easy (perl) or much
easier (C) than those. You need to grok SQL, admitted.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de