[techtalk] have you seen this program?

Andre Pang andrep-ml at vjolnir.org
Mon Jan 31 10:46:21 EST 2000

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 02:09:22PM -0500, Laurel Fan wrote:

> I'm looking for a program that I saw 2 years ago or so.  It's basically
> a utility that can act as a tcp or udp client or server, which is useful
> when writing and debugging such programs.  Better than using telnet,
> since telnet can't do udp or debug a client.

    you're probably looking for netcat (quite often called 'nc'), which you
can find on freshmeat.  just in case you don't like that, you can also look
for 'netpipe' or 'netpipes'.

    and just in case none of those suit your fancy, i liked a little program
called 'sock' which can be found at
ftp://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/pub/local/mj/linux.  i'm not quite sure why i
preferred it over nc, but i did :).

--
: Andre Pang <andrep at vjolnir.org> - Purruna Pty Ltd - ph# 0411.882299 :
:               #ozone - http://www.vjolnir.org/ozone/                :