[techtalk] ipchains -- allowing specific IP's

Dan McGarry dmcgarry at moodindigo.com
Sun Jan 30 02:34:10 EST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Walt <pippin at fred.net>
To: <techtalk at linuxchix.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2000 3:53 PM
Subject: [techtalk] ipchains -- allowing specific IP's

> I assume that this must be possible, using
> ipchains... (and, btw, I don't mind reading
> the manual, but I tend to learn a _lot_
> easier from example type things...)
>
> Can I only allow certain IP addresses on
> my network to get 'out'? or, better yet,
> allow activity on only certain ports to have
> outside access?

The IPChains HowTo does have some useful examples of the syntax required to
achieve what you're describing. I'd recommend it.

Section 3 has some particularly useful (and simple!) examples of typical
configurations. Hopefully, there's something there that can help you get
things configured quickly and easily.

    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1

Good luck,
--