[techtalk] GTK-engines paths...

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jan 27 13:03:53 EST 2000

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 02:36:04AM +0100 or thereabouts, Sunnanvind wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Laurel Fan wrote:
> > http://gtk.themes.org/php/docs.phtml?docid=55&secid=2.1

Poking around from this list I found a pile of stuff I could really
have done with knowing about. Thanks!

> Unbelievably enough, the error was in the gtkrc file of all seven
> pixmap themes I tried! You'd think the folks at gtk.themes.org would
> try atleast some of the submitted themes :)

I can vouch for the fact they don't :)

I downloaded a couple a while ago, couldn't get them to install via
the 'install new theme' option in the theme capplet of Gnome, did it
the long way round, and then watched in awe as memory ran away and
random windows started dying. It was like watching a house of cards
fall, or one of those domino chains all knocking each other down.

Sadly, I don't recall the names, and I still wonder whether it was
the themes themselves or my manner of installing them which was at
fault. I don't think they were pixmap themes, either. I found a
lovely pixmap theme which also did savage things to the computer,
but everyone says the pixmap ones require a lot of memory and
horsepower.

I used to get lots of windowmaker themes, too, and the occasional
one of those would be a bit screwy. But it was much rarer. I think
the difference is that gtk themes are a lot more complicated and
have to be programmed and compiled, rather than just making a list
of "background: this picture; titlebar: this colour; font for titlebar:
this font" etc.

Telsa