[techtalk] Computer clock way slow

Jamie Walker jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 27 12:37:22 EST 2000

J B wrote:

> most of the ones with software switches will query the CPU, and if it can,
> it sends the speed (voltage and multiplier) and the BIOS applies the
> appropriate values so that there is nothing to set (my ASUS was like this).
> If it does not get a response, it sets the CPU to the lowest supported speed
> (acording to the manual).

There are several pins on the Slot 1 CPU connector (and also socket 370)
which signal the motherboard with the appropriate voltage and bus
frequency. The multiplier is not set this way but as most PII CPUs from
the 266 onwards have their multipliers locked it is not possible to set
this anyway.

Some motherboards (Abit were the first with the BH6) allow you to ignore
the "recommended" voltages and bus frequencies and override these.

--
Phone: +64-9-373-7599 x4679     Room: 2.316, School of Engineering
 Work: jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz Home: jamiew at clear.net.nz
  ICQ: 5632563			or shout loudly