[techtalk] printer probs with 2.2.13 and lpd

Dakota Surmonde surmonde at freeshell.org
Wed Jan 26 10:48:46 EST 2000

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Britta Koch wrote:

> Glad to hear that ;)

thanks. glad to be back, really :)

> I used to have a similar problem(even with the ports) - do you have
> parport support as modules?  Have you loaded all the necessary modules
> (i think parport.o AND parport_core.o or something like that)?  That was
> what I didn't do... but I could print with DOS, so I knew it was a
> software problem...

hmm..monolithic kernel, but the appropriate lines from dmesg are:

parport0: PC-style at 0x3bc [SPP,PS2]
parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.

and

lp0: using parport0 (polling).

interestingly, if I use

append="parport=auto lp=auto"

I lose lp0 completely but

append="parport=auto lp=parport0"

works (well enough to print to port, but not to print via lpd)

> (OK, I think I couldn't even print ascii to port, but that lpd status
> looks like what I got..)

yeah..I'd seen some other comments on this problem in my searches...blargh
:)

Thanks.

Vinnie