[techtalk] Really weird computer troubles

Brian Engle bengle at fti-net.com
Wed Jan 26 10:49:51 EST 2000

Having the package wouldn't make much of a difference if you were using
ping. A ping is a ping is a ping, a mac ping is just a ping to a
windows/Redhat/SuSE/OBSD/Solaris machine, and vice versa, you shouldn't need
any special packages installed to ping a mac, just like you shouldn't need
any special packages installed to ping a linux box.

If you get lights on the ethernet cards and also on the hub, then you have
good cabling, so that's not at fault either....so I guess the only thing to
check would be to bring up eth0 on the linux box and use /sbin/route and
check that all the routing is set up right. If you're going to be using it
as a masqing box, it would probably be helpful to have the computer
connected to your isp when you run route, then you'll get the whole story
about what the defaultroute is and which routes are set up with which
devices, etc.

Something that would probably be a little less effective would be
traceroute, simply to check and make sure that when you ping the ip of the
mac, it's not trying to send the ping out on the external interface or
something like that...a friend of mine had a problem like this with his
cable modem, (which had it's own IP on his LAN), he would ping it and was
surprised at how slow the response time was, so he tried traceroute, and
found that the ping was going from his machine, to the modem, to the isp,
back to the modem, and that was the response time he was getting, I can't
remember how he fixed it, if it was something with route, or what, but it's
worth a shot...

Brian