[techtalk] weird laptop problem

Kelly Lynn Martin kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us
Mon Jan 24 00:13:35 EST 2000

My sister's boyfriend has this laptop that can't really run Linux and
I'm not sure what the problem is.  (Actually I have no idea.)  He has
kernel 2.2.9 installed (I know, out of date, we're going to try a
couple of newer ones in a few days).  It boots ok, but the keyboard
has nasty problems -- it loses random keystrokes.  Occasionally, it
throws a "lost interrupt" message, and watching /proc/interrupts shows
that the keyboard is generating interrupts about as fast as the timer
(which is wrong -- generally you get two interrupts per stroke).  This
is a relatively new laptop.  Notably, it has a USB hub, and a
touchpad, either of which could possibly be the problem.

Any ideas?  I'm going to try 2.2.current and 2.3.latest once I can con
him into bringing it over to my house.

Kelly