[techtalk] where do I put a module to have it come up at boot time?

Beverly Guillermo mezanin at home.com
Mon Jan 17 11:25:35 EST 2000

It depends on your distribution where you'd like to put it.  I personally
like to add it to /etc/rc.d/rc.modules in my slackware distribution.  Or
else you can load them in /etc/conf.modules, then add the lines to
/etc/rc.d/rc.M (if you're using slack) or rc.sysinit (for redhat).

In the redhat version, do a search for the following line:
'if [ -n "$USEMODULES" ]; then '

and add the alias for your scsi card:

if grep -s -q " "^alias scsi" /etc/conf.modules ; then
  action "Loading scsi module" modprobe scsi
fi

Or another option is to do as recommended by some people and add it to
your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file since it's supposed to contain all your own
personal initializations.

Beverly

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> I recently added a scsi controller to my Linux box that was just IDE.  I
> can't seem to find the place to add in that it should install aic7xxx
> automagically at boot time.  I'm currently just installing it manually
> using insmod.   It seems like this should be pretty straightforward to find
> but so far I'm stumped.  I'm using RH 6.0.
>
> thanks for any info.
>
> - samantha

> techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org

Beverly Guillermo