[techtalk] Bug tracking/Change orders

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Jan 11 01:26:59 EST 2000

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 04:13:34PM -0800 or thereabouts, jennyw at griffon.personic.com wrote:
> Does anyone know of a Web-based system for tracking bugs and feature
> requests?  For example, I know about Bugzilla, but I think it only tracks
> bugs and not feature requests. Thanks!

I think it depends how it's used. Certainly the Mozilla folks use it
for both. From http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

   Not all 'bugs' are bugs. Some items in the database are known as
   Enhancement Requests or Requests For Enhancement (RFE for short). An
   RFE is a bug whose severity field is set to 'enhancement'. People
   often say 'bug' when they mean 'item in bugzilla', so RFEs often get
   wind up being called bugs. Enter the tasks you're planning to work on
   as enhancement requests and bugzilla will help you track them and
   allow others to see what you plan to work on.

I had used Red Hat's bugzilla quite a bit and then put a couple of
things into Mozilla's bugzilla. It was fascinating watching the results.
Whilst RH seem to use it as a database for bug reports, the Mozilla folk
seem to use bugzilla as their primary way of communicating: adding and
removing people from the appropriate cc's, altering priorities,
suggesting new avenues, and so on. You can look at all the other
bugs (or features :)) that a particular item depends on, or all
the things that depend on that one. Great fun.

If you're ever bored for email, find a valid bug in the Mozilla
browser. I got about thirty emails over a week as one of mine got
passed about. (You _can_ remove yourself from the cc list, but it's
fun to watch -- and it means when there's a fix, you can try it out!)

Telsa