[techtalk] Other OSes on a Linux box

Cathy James cjames at opensite.com
Wed Jan 5 08:40:58 EST 2000

>As far as MS drivers for different hardware go, this should not be a
>problem.  Every hardware manufacturer I know provides Windows drivers
>with their hardware.  You can also download them from their respective
>web sites if you don't have the original diskettes that are usually
>supplied with the new hardware.

	I'm sorry, but this isn't true.  My generic 44X CDROM,
for example, only came with a real-mode driver.  I've looked on
the web site, and there isn't a protected mode driver there either.
I'm still having issues with the PCI IDE bus mastering driver
that I downloaded from FIC for my built-in IDE.

	It's not enough to say "drivers are available".  Actually
getting the supplied drivers to work in protected mode sometimes
requires black magic.

	--Cathy