[techtalk] need database recomendations

Kelly Lynn Martin kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us
Mon Jan 3 21:38:25 EST 2000

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000 07:19:14 -0800 (PST), Michelle Leonard <michelle_leonard at yahoo.com> said:

>Working on my first resolution - to get a "real" database system
>running.  Our existing database to date consists of bunches of
>flatfiles and directory filesystems.  Access is through perl
>scripts/html pages.  I would like to get a more formal database
>system going (and moved from the old SUN box to new linux box) as our
>volume will soon overrun what we have now.  So I'm looking for
>suggestions as to everyones favorite database and access
>programs/protocols etc.  Any pros/cons appreciated.

For small to moderate databases, I am fond of MySQL.  MySQL is pretty
robust, reasonably fast, and interfaces well.  It's a limited
implementation of SQL, but most of the absent features are perks
rather than essentials.

I haven't worked with really large databases so I'll let one of the
others who has provide suggestions.  (I know Deirdre has been doing
database engine work for years.)

BTW, if you want a consultant on this project, let me know.  I'm
available.  :)

Kelly