[techtalk] need database recomendations

Gregory Conron gconron at hfx.andara.com
Mon Jan 3 19:22:35 EST 2000

On Mon, 03 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> Working on my first resolution - to get a "real"
> database system running.  Our existing database to
> date consists of bunches of flatfiles and directory
> filesystems.  Access is through perl scripts/html
> pages.  I would like to get a more formal database
> system going (and moved from the old SUN box to new
> linux box) as our volume will soon overrun what we
> have now.  So I'm looking for suggestions as to
> everyones favorite database and access
> programs/protocols etc.  Any pros/cons appreciated.

If you don't mind paying a few bucks (after the initial trial
period is over), Sybase SQLAnywhere is a half-decent database.
Have heard many good things about it, although I wouldn't
recommend it for very large business-critical applications
(multiple millions of row and thousands of tables). And, of
course, there is always Oracle, which follows the fine unix
tradition - it is rock-solid when you set it up right, the
problem is getting it set up right :)

Cheers,
GC
--