[techtalk] Can I change my mind now??

Jeff phaedrus at thereactor.cleptoscastle.com
Mon Feb 28 21:31:03 EST 2000

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 02:15:16PM -0700, Storm wrote:
> Actually, ... I know I can :)
> Ok,.. here's the question,.....
>
> When I installed Linux (Mandrake 7) I told it to automatically start the KDE
> ( or whatever, since it lets me choose from several GUIs).  I was thinking
> maybe I would start from a command line ( so that I don't let myself get so
> complacent and reliant on the KDE.) The question is,... where do I change
> this,... ?? (I'm fairly sure I can figure out the second step, that being
> when I'm tired of the commandline stuff, how to get back into the KDE :) )

The inittab step should work (see the other emails), but when you are
just out on the command line, and you don't have the graphical login,
try typing `startx' (without the quotes), this will start up an
XSession, and you don't have the RAM overhead of having an XServer going
all the time (depending on how much RAM you have, this could be a Bad
Thing (tm)).

--
Jeff

My Public Key -- http://24.5.73.229/pubkey.txt