[issues] Re: [techtalk] Free FrameMaker beta for Linux

Robert Kiesling kiesling at mainmatter.com
Sat Feb 26 00:18:32 EST 2000

Caitlyn Martin <caitlyn at netferrets.net> wrote:

> I think I need to point out that Adobe is one of the companies funding the
> lobbying in favor of UCITA.  I don't often agree with RMS, but he is 100%
> correct when he calls UCITA the greatest threat to Free / Open Source
> software today.  So...  I would like to encourage everyone to treat Adobe
> with the disdain that many people seem to reserve for Microsoft.  These
> folks are out to kill the Linux / Open Source community.

I'm not sure I agree with the FSF's opinion on UCITA.  I thought the
GPL was just another instance of a shrink-wrap license.  I also don't
think Adobe's necessarily out to undermine the Open Source community,
per se, but I think that standard business practice, which says one
has to make money, is often misguided in these instances, not
outrightly malicious.  And finally, I don't see what would be gained
by ignoring Adobe.  They've done a lot of great things, like making
Postscript into a standard language and advancing font technology.
It's been my experience that boycotts don't work very well anyway, so
there would be nothing gained by ignoring them.

Btw, the Framemaker betas are time limited.  Apologies that I
forgot to mention it before.