[techtalk] A good intro textbook for Linux

Emily Cartier ecartier at crosswinds.net
Tue Feb 22 09:27:57 EST 2000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:39:58 -0800 (PST)
Raven Damask <damask0 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>      The O'Reilly intro series are too basic (I was
> pretty disappointed in their book on learning Debian,
> which is a first for me and O'Reilly), and "Running
> Linux" is too in-depth for this class, and presumes
> too much basic knowledge.

Maybe I'm confused then as to what you want. Running Linux is the book I
shove at everyone who asks me about learning Linux and Unix (why do I
include Unix here? because they're usually looking for an operating
system for their computer, and have heard the Unix word). It has enough
helpful information to fix many of the dumb errors that one finds in
Mandrake, and encourages the reader to go try things out.

So, since I appear to be confused, what exactly are you looking for in a
Linux book?

Emily, who is starting to think she likes Mandrake because it's so
broken at times... it's very educational