[techtalk] Differences between linux distributions

Kelly Lynn Martin kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us
Mon Feb 21 10:30:32 EST 2000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:06:38 +0000, Telsa Gwynne <hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk> said:

>It really really was confusing a lot of people. At the time, SuSE was
>apparently a version ahead of Red Hat, (as ever :) I think it was
>then SuSE 6.1 and Red Hat 6.0), and yet everyone kept talking about
>2.2/2.3/2.4 to the poor business folks, and they kept waiting to hear
>about 6.something.  Definite Linux stole a march on everyone by
>starting at version 7.0.  I am waiting to see whether they go from
>9.0 to 10.0 or A.

I was trying to help someone once with a Linux problem and had him
insisting over and over again that he had kernel version 6.0.  Turned
out he had SuSE version 6.0.  It was very frustrating for me because I
really needed to know what kernel version he had and I _simply could
not_ drag this information out of him.

Kelly