[techtalk] Differences between linux distributions

Claudine Chionh claudine at vicnet.net.au
Mon Feb 21 23:13:05 EST 2000

Some time in the past, Telsa Gwynne <hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk> scripsit,

>  I thought the Slackware version jump was
> done for an excellent reason: I too heard the "Because I'm fed up
> of being asked why Slackware is behind!" story :)

But I haven't seen the same question being asked about Debian (hi Dan!) --
is it just because we Debian stalwarts, with our talk of GNU/Linux and
political tirades about open source vs free software, are seen as just too
weird for the average Linux crowd?

<removes tongue from cheek>

My first Linux system was Slack 3.*.  It was small and I learnt about linux
the hard way, and refamiliarised myself with shell commands.  Now I have
a bigger machine and use apt-get because I can't be bothered checking
dependencies myself <g> -- but I'm glad I do know how to compile a program
from source, because Slack forced me to.

Claudine,
now running Woody (Deb 2.3) on my two little boxes

--
Melbourne, Australia                http://home.vicnet.net.au/~claudine/
This signature was brought to you by the sigrot program.