[techtalk] Differences between linux distributions

moebius at ip-solutions.net moebius at ip-solutions.net
Sat Feb 19 21:22:02 EST 2000

Hey Tania, Jenn,
  The differences are large which is probably why you haven't seen them
stated before. Essentially what it boils down to are two things. File
System Standards and packaging. For example, RedHat uses it own standard
that is somewhat complient with the proposed FSSTND and Caldera uses a
standard that is similar yet different. Sound confusing?? I think that why
most people stick with one distro. Another example, Apache by default
stores most things in /usr/local, RH is in /etc/, same with Mandrake,
Caldera (I believe goes with Apache). The list goes on. I know this isn't
all that helpful, just kinda a heads up.
Harry