[techtalk] Getting a computer on a network.

Jamie Walker jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Feb 19 12:56:29 EST 2000

moebius at ip-solutions.net wrote:

> Hey All,
>   I do not all ping responses in my network, as a matter of security. I
> have futher disabled users from doing things like traceroute, host, etc.
> The point to this is that there should be no need to do this in a work
> environment unless you're on a network engineer side. If you're
> responsible for the security of your network than why would you give the
> slightest opportunity for someone to use them for unintended purposes. And
> how many office people do you know that need to ping a host?

Where I work (electrical engineering, Auckland uni) there are plenty of
people who would use ping or traceroute for diagnostic purposes. And
also plenty who don't need to use them, but can learn by doing so.

The only reason I would disable ping and traceroute is because they're
setuid.

Work: jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz	Home: jwalker at paradise.net.nz
 ICQ: 5632563			or shout loudly