[techtalk] Getting a computer on a network.

gandalf gandalf at themoebius.org
Fri Feb 18 17:28:49 EST 2000

I may be wrong on this, I haven't really been following the thread all
that intently.

if the admin setup the security to reject ICMP, then ping wouldn't work,
and neither would traceroute. While ICMP seems like a pointless thing to
block, other things use ICMP such as snmp, I believe, in which case
turning off ICMP would prevent unauthorized people from gaining access to
network information, or making something like a network map of your
systems from the outside. There are much better ways to prevent this
without disabling ICMP and screwing up ping and traceroute, however,
blocking all ICMP into and out of a network is much easier than actually
sitting down and reading a book, I suppose

gandalf