[techtalk] GMC won't open files (repost)

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Feb 18 11:28:38 EST 2000

On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 12:28:50AM -0600 or thereabouts, Stephan Zaniolo wrote:

[programs you expect not getting started when you click on them in
Gnome]
> seem to be correct.  The only thing I know I've done since it worked last
> was to try fixing a problem with my internet connection.  For some reason,
> Netscape had started sending out packets even after it was closed (I saw
> them on tcpdump).  Rather than just rebooting (which I ended up doing
> anyway) I opened gtop and tried killing processes that looked like they
> might be the problem.  I don't know if this has any bearing.

I don't quite follow the Netscape thing, but anyway..yes, I would have
thought randomly (or not so randomly) killing processes would have
something to do with it, except for..

> PS.  This is a problem with all of the users on my system, including root.

I don't see how you could have altered all the default settings for
everyone just with gtop. It's a powerful program (graphical front end
to top, free, and df, for those who haven't met it), but surely not
_that_ powerful! And unless you were running it as root it will only
let you kill your own processes.

Have you tried the standard answer people give on gnome-list, (which
I hate :)) of 'remove your ~/.gnome/ directory'? Actually, just move it
to .gnome.bak or something, because if it doesn't work then at least
you can put it back and retain any settings you set up. Failing that,
I have a couple of test users with no changes to the default session
at all so I can see whether bugs (what, bugs in Gnome? Surely not..)
are always there, or cropping up as a result of something I did. You
could try seeing whether a new account creates the same effects.

I don't use gmc, so I can't be much more help. I have heard that
gmc and enlightenment (which I also don't use...) squabble over who
gets to respond to certain mouse-clicks, so I am tempted to ask "What
happens if you change window manager?". But the rest of it sounds like
something is happening and the clicks are getting through, so I don't
think it's that, either. Sorry, not much help today.

You're probably right that gnome-list is the place to ask, though :)

Telsa