[techtalk] GMC won't open files (repost)

Stephan Zaniolo eaglefeather at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 18 01:28:50 EST 2000

	 I'm sorry to re-post this, but it's very difficult working in Gnome
without "double click" support.  I'm sure it's a stupid configuration
problem somewhere (that's what all of my problems so far have turned out to
be), but I can't find it and no one else seems to know what I'm talking
about. (I tried gnome-list at gnome.org as well)  I've included my previous
post (with some modifications to answer questions I was posed by
others).  Even if someone can't solve this problem in one shot (even though
that would be nice ;^), pointers to other references would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephan

At 09:25 2/12/00 -0600, you wrote:
 >	I'm running Red Hat 6.0, October Gnome, kernel 2.2.14.  For some reason,
 >when I double click on a file (say a .txt file) in gmc (gmc-4.5.42-2) that
 >file doesn't open in the program it's setup for (xemacs). (It doesn't do
anything)

I've also tried setting gnp and gedit as my "gnome-editor" with no
luck.  Also, when I right click an html file I'm presented with "Open with
Netscape", but even that does nothing.  Interestingly enough, when I right
click a file and choose "View" I'm able to see html, txt, and pdf files
(gnumeric files don't open with this), but only in some sort of default
viewer.  (It seems to be like whatever gmc does to handle MIME types is
either not running or is not getting the requests)