[techtalk] Formatting floppy

moebius at ip-solutions.net moebius at ip-solutions.net
Wed Feb 16 14:24:04 EST 2000

Hey Kev,
  Give this a shot. Insert the disk into the drive. Assuming that your
floppy is /dev/fd0 (most are), do this:
%mkfs.ext2 /dev/fd0
viloa, all done. You should see info about the superblocks being written.
Now you can mount it to the dir ( I use /mnt/floppy) of your choice.
So, if I didn't have it before I would do this as root.
%mkdir /mnt/floppy
%chmod 700 /mnt/floppy
%mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
%cd /mnt/floppy
Then when I'm ready to eject the disk I move out of the floppy dir. You
can't unmount a medium if you in it's directory.
% umount /mnt/floppy
HTH,
Harry