[techtalk] Formatting floppy

Karl-Heinz Zimmer khz at snafu.de
Wed Feb 16 20:49:01 EST 2000

On 16.02.00, 20:04:29, Kevin Porter wrote:

> I have a floppy disk which is DOS formatted.
> How do I format it as a Linux disk?

> Sorry for the dumb question, but I searched in
> RH manuals and the RedHat site, but no joy...

Kevin, are you sure you want to do this?

Under normal circumstances there is no problem
using DOS readable disquettes on Linux...

If your /etc/fstab contains a line like this

     /dev/fd0     /mnt/floppy      auto    sync,user,
                                           noauto,nosuid,
                                           nodev,unhide   0   0

you will be able to mount them easily.

Hope this helps a bit,