[techtalk] 1st time adding a modem to linux.

Tania Morell Tania-Maria at rocketmail.com
Wed Feb 16 09:09:57 EST 2000

I've had my internal pci modem for about 2 years now
so if I can't get it to work with linux, I'd have to
buy another one...

I have an old ISA 28.8 modem, though.  I intalled it
and had it working in 5 minutes but it's slow.  I want
to get adsl as soon as it's available in my area so I
don't want to be stuck with 3 modems that I'm not
going to use.  I hate seeing perfectly good hardware
(and *money*) go to waste.

I guess I'll just keep the 28.8 for now.

-T

--- Nick Green <wossname at mindless.com> wrote:
> Just wanted to say that I was reminded the hard way
> tonight that
> its not always configuration that stops you from
> being able to setup
> devices on your computer.  I have been struggling
> for a month with
> an external 56.6 modem, and could not get it.
> Minicom would let
> me dial out with it as a 56.6 modem...but all it
> would display on the
> screen was random characters.  We reset the serial
> speed to 9600
> and 19200, and it works, but anything above that,
> and the modem
> freaks out.  Anything above those speeds, and it
> won't dial using chat,
> either.  *mumble*  I asked the guy who gave me the
> modem about it
> at work today, and his reply was "Oh, yeah, I had it
> working fine in my
> system until I moved.  After that, it seemed to run
> rather oddly."
>
> Its nice to finally have an answer, but its one of
> those answers that makes
> you want to throw things.  A month of hair pulling
> when everything had been
> set up correctly, for the most part.
>
> *shrug*  And now, back to your regularly scheduled
> program.
>
> Nick

> techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org

=====