[techtalk] career/family question

Magni Onsoien magnio at pvv.ntnu.no
Wed Feb 16 13:56:06 EST 2000

Tania Morell:

> :)  Strange topic for techtalk but.......

It really should be an important part of ANY organizer programme, so I
think we should discuss it further in order to make a spec and then get
it implemented ;)

> :(  Not so happy to admit...  sometimes I do sleep in
> my clothes.  And I think I've taken out the ironing
> board 3 times in the last 10 months and that was for
> job interviews. ..(It was a programmers habit too, I
> guess) That and I'm the least vain person I know. *no
> makeup*   *I hate shopping for clothes*  If I didn't
> feel unladylike going grunge all the time, I would.

I really think you should concider paying someone to do some cleaning
for you. Just think about it: do you hate housework so much that it
would be a relief to come home to a clean house with your clothes washed
and ironed - even if it means a bit less money?
Do me there is no doubt: I definitely will have someone to do cleaning
when I start working. I am actually concidering it now, too, when I am a
student working part time. I live with a geek guy who hates housework,
so my plan is to get someone to clean the floors, bathroom, dust etc
every forthnight and maybe also do the laundry for us. Of course we will
then split the expenses between us.

We also used to buy groceries etc via internet and get the shop to bring
it home for us. Costed a bit extra, but as we used to buy from a cheap
store the total amount was less than we would have paid to buy it from
our local store (we don't have a car, so it's hard to bring home juice,
milk, beer etc).

> I cook to save money and to keep from blowing up like
> a baloon..   I mostly have breakfast in a can, though,
> but lately it's been McDonald's #3 with orange juice.
> hmmmm ..  yummy.

I eat bread for breakfast. Then I have bead and cheese and stuff at work
and make my lunch from that. At home we either make a pizza or we cook
something ourself, mainly consisting of 3-4 ingredients plus rice or
pasta. Cheap and usually pretty fast and with little trouble. It's
definitely possible to read mail/news, compile, program or read
newspapers while the food is preparing itself.

So, the technical side: all this should be implemented in some
electronic organizer stuff: reminders of calling the cleaner, automatic
submitting of the orders to the shop at the end of each Friday (so it's
delivered when one gets home from work)(the list should be the
"standard" stuff like milk, bread etc, plus the things you have added to
the list plus necessay ingredients to next weeks cooking (see later)),
proposals for menus for each day of week, which in time should compile
with the day's appointments. So if the organizer knows that you have a
meeting until late on Tuesday, it should propose (and maybe order) a
very simple meal, whil when it see that you have a day off on Sunday
plus that you are expecting your family for dinner then, it should make
sure an appropriate steak with vegetables is ordered. Etc. I mean, this
would be wonderful and really useful! Not only will the organizer make
sure you have time for your meetings etc, but it will also make sure you
have time for cooking (and the other home duties, which you of course
specify in it) afterwards.

Hm. I really NEED this. Now!

(And I think we maybe should move this to grrltalk now. So if someone
wants to discuss this further: send to grrltalk instead :))

Magni :)
--
ulimit is good for you.