[techtalk] career/family question

Rik Hemsley rik at kde.org
Tue Feb 15 17:18:20 EST 2000

#if Tania Morell
> :)  Strange topic for techtalk but.......
[...]
> :(  Not so happy to admit...  sometimes I do sleep in
> my clothes.  And I think I've taken out the ironing
> board 3 times in the last 10 months and that was for
> job interviews. ..(It was a programmers habit too, I
> guess) That and I'm the least vain person I know. *no
> makeup*   *I hate shopping for clothes*  If I didn't
> feel unladylike going grunge all the time, I would.

I like looking grungy. Um, well maybe that's my excuse.
Here we have homeless people selling 'The Big Issue' on
the street. They ignore me, presumably because they
think I'm worse off than them.

[...]
> > 4) Learning that 'killall' works differently on Real
> > Unices.
> >

> huh?

Ok, we're back to techtalk :)

'huh' is what I said when I become one of the elite club
known as 'Those Who Accidentally Typed killall.' (guess
what that is as an acronym ;)

My first sysadmin job, I was sitting in front of a user's
Wyse term, talking to another senior IT person sitting next
to me. I typed 'killall -9 some_process_name' and nothing
happened.

"You just watch," I joked. "All the terminals will go off
now."

How right I was. 100 people turned around and looked at
me.

I spent the next 20 minutes standing in front of the
room-sized DG-UX machine, watching the console with
my fingers crossed, waiting for it to come back up.

My boss and all the IT staff were stood behind me, looking
through the glass.

How much more embarassing can you get ?

Rik

--