[techtalk] Squid config

Subba Rao subb3 at attglobal.net
Tue Feb 15 19:30:38 EST 2000

On  0, "Jenn V." <jenn at simegen.com> wrote:

> Subba Rao wrote:
>
> > The cache_peer values have the following settings.
> >
> > cache_peer myhost.mydomain.com     parent    3128  3130  [proxy-only]
> > cache_peer myhost1.mydomain.com     sibling   3128  3130  [proxy-only]
> > cache_peer myhost2.mydomain.com   sibling   3128  3130  [proxy-only]
> > cache_peer myhost3.mydomain.com      sibling   3128  3130  [proxy-only]
> > cache_peer myhost4.mydomain.com   sibling   3128  3130  [proxy-only]
> >
> > I don't know if this is the right setting for cache_peer.
> > Any input from squid admins appreciated.
>
> I haven't configured squid myself, and my squid admin (aka husband)
> happens to be off at a spec meeting for a couple of days.
>
> But:
>
> 1. I assume you understand proxy peering (that your proxy goes
> to the peers, if they have the relevent page, rather than the
> page source) and intend to use it?
>
> 2. You don't /really/ have 'myhost.mydomain.com' in your actual
> config file, do you? You've replaced that with the address of
> your intended parent and sibling proxies, haven't you?
>
> 3. If you don't want peer proxies, comment the lines out.

Thanks for replying. Since I do not have caching peers, I deleted these
tags from the config file and squid starts fine now. There are other config
errors which can be tweaked as I go along.

How does Squid keep track of the files being cached? How do we know if the cached files have
changed on the original server?

Thank you once again.

Subba Rao
subb3 at attglobal.net
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com