[techtalk] SuSE -> Mandrake?

Linda Walsh law at sgi.com
Tue Feb 15 10:42:34 EST 2000

> My gcc doesn't seem to support pentium optimisations, but compiling a small
> test program for a 486 versus 386 increased the size slightly. Are you sure
> 686 optimized binaries get smaller?
---
	I picked the /usr/X11R6/bin directory for my test. There were 384
files that both distros had in common.  208 of these were the same size.
I added the file sizes /distro and added 1 to the smaller distro's app count.
 My results:

MDK: 18265904, 52
SSE: 22516638, 124

What does it mean:  SSE had more files that were smaller, but overall
SSE's total byte count was about 20-25% greater than MDK's.  Both were
running V11.0 of X (as shown by xdpyinfo).

	Ya know, this is a religious war, which I didn't ask for.  I
didn't ask for a relative comparison of distro's since each person is
going to have their favorites.  What I asked for was how would be the
easiest way to convert which most did not address.  Is this a case
of "I gotta say something.  I don't know the answer to her question.
I'll pipe up about a different topic instead and tell her why she
shouldn't change distros so I won't have to answer the question she
asked."  It appears the answer to my question is that there is no
easier way than what I came up with -- which is still a relative pain.

sigh,
-linda