[techtalk] SuSE -> Mandrake?

Wendt,Andrew awendt at neo.rr.com
Tue Feb 15 06:13:29 EST 2000

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, you wrote:

>	686 optimized binaries would take up less space -- libraries
>would be smaller -- fewer instructions to accomplish the same task.  The
>analogy with energy is flawed.  We are talking space.  Space can be
>conserved using more efficient instructions to accomplish the same
>task -- like going from the 8085 to the 8086,
>the heart of a string move went down to 1 instruction with a prefix.
>Previously you'd have to maintain a counter, mov mem ->reg, mov reg->mem,
>increment pointers, do a compare and conditional jmp.

The heart of a string move went down to 1 instruction with a prefix... But
around the time of the '486, it became faster to roll your own loops instead of
using LOOP, and to avoid using the string instructions except for MOVS.

A lot of the compiler optimisations are probably geared towards generating a
more optimal instruction mix for a certain processor, not just taking advantage
of new instructions.

My gcc doesn't seem to support pentium optimisations, but compiling a small
test program for a 486 versus 386 increased the size slightly. Are you sure
686 optimized binaries get smaller?

TTFN
Andy