[techtalk] SuSE -> Mandrake?

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Tue Feb 15 01:52:23 EST 2000

> If you really want a more correct distro, perhaps you should
> look at the latest Debian when it comes out. I intend to. Maybe
> then those howto's will work for me.

I switched (from redhat) and am hereby converted to debian (until I find
something better). I should have listened to a good friend when he
suggested it in the first place :o)

I installed mandrake (as I've said before) once and have vowed to never
do so again. I don't think the comments made about it were *too* harsh,
maybe a little more than I would say but not all that bad ;o)

Debian is much harder to install than redhat or mandrake, though, if
you've never done it before. The installer gives you a basic system,
network (if you're easy cheesy lan-style), and asks you what you want to
do next (it's been a couple weeks, forgive me if I forget something
here). Potato will be a sweet distribution when it's released :o)

I don't use a lot of howtos except for diagnosing problems I've already
tried to fix, like with the sound howto, so I'm not sure how far 'off'
it is. I could probably tell you if you give me a sample one to look at
:o)

-nicole

--
      http://colby.dhs.org  @  Colby - me!