[techtalk] career/family question

Astraea astraea at vivid.net
Mon Feb 14 23:39:22 EST 2000

I've recently dealt with a similar issue...

I'm the sole parent of two children (ages 8 and 9).  I was trying to work full time, take care of two kids, keep up with two pets, clean, do laundry, pay bills, study for these certifications (cisco) that my employer wants me to get, a long list of other boring life details, and hopefully have a few spare minutes left for a social life.  On top of that, there were some very good paying weekend overtime shifts I was missing out on, because I had no sitter and absolutely no energy left.  So I guess you know where my stress level was?

I finally hired a housekeeper/sitter to come on Sundays.  While she's there, I either go to work or hit a bookstore to study.  It was weird at first, but it's really nice to not have to think about cleaning.  I now have more time for my family, more time to study, and some time for friends.  With the reduced stress of not having to worry about cleaning, my work performance has improved.  I love it!  And financially... I'll break even as long as I work one Sunday a month, so the cost isn't an issue.  Definitely the smartest thing I've done in a while, and I would recommend to ANYONE.  Especially us technical people who would rather tinker with our home LAN than mop the kitchen anyday *grin*

I found my housekeeper through some placement agency that was listed in the classifieds.  They do all the interviewing and screening, then find someone that meets your needs.  And if the "regular" person isn't able to make it, they send an alternate for you.

~Michelle

PS. The other linux chick in my house (Danielle, age 9) installed redhat on her own for the first time last week. I figure since I've told everyone at work about it already, I might as well post to the whole world, right?