[techtalk] career/family question

Tania M. Morell tania at shadow.net
Mon Feb 14 22:13:22 EST 2000

I was once in a relationship a tiny bit similar to yours.

My ex-boyfriend was a SysAdmin and I was a programmer up until I broke
up with him 2 months ago (which happened because of reasons totally
unrelated to this topic).  We lived one hour apart but whenever he'd
come and stay a few days, I would cook, wash the dishes, mop the floor,
make the bed, do the chores, AND clean up after him as well (he can be a
slob).  I hated not having ALL that time to do whatever I wanted or just
to sit by him to talk or just watch tv together.  I did the cleaning and
all that because 1) I had a BIG subconcious need to show him how good of
a housekeeper I can be, and 2) I hate living in filth and having to step
over dirty clothes on the floor, and I HATE wet towels on the bed!

Anyway, even though I loved him, I wouldn't have wanted that to become
an everyday affair.  I know he wouldn't have taken 50% responsibilities
and my time is extremely limited.  He, too, was 100% a geek with nothing
but SysAdmin t-shirts and hockey on his mind and a lot of (notice I said
"a lot of" and not "all") guys are really of a different mindset than
girls and good housekeeping is way low on their list of priorities.

Go with the cleaning service and feel confident that you'll be getting
used to that in no time at all.  As it is, I wish I could afford that
now for myself.  I'm a Unix SysAdmin now, and with all the learning and
work I have ahead of me, I hate wasting my little time on laundry,
cooking, and cleaning.  It's a pain.

--
    Tania Morell
  tania at shadow.net