[techtalk] KDE license?

Rik Hemsley rik at kde.org
Fri Feb 11 12:00:53 EST 2000

#if Ji Lee

> On Thursday, February 10, 2000 6:56 PM, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> > GPL states that GPL code can only link against closed-source libraries
> > *if* those closed source libraries are distributed as a standard part of
> > "the system".  That's why we never saw this problem when linking GPL code
>
> Does that mean that no GPLed programs can be linked to commecial libraries
> such as Oracle because Oracle library doesn't ship as a part of "the
> system"?
> I saw a few programs that will let you access Oracle which (I think) are
> under GPL.
> Maybe you could define exacly what "the system" means?

Good question.

And what does 'commercial' mean ? Does it mean that these things
sell for money ? Linux distributors sell LGPL libraries as a part
of the system, so are they commercial ? Or does 'commercial' mean
closed source ? If so, no problem. Qt is Open Source, and declared
to be so by all the major Open Source experts.

> > has been certified as open source by groups like OSI and SPI.  However,
> > the QPL is not 100% compatible with the GPL, so a small exception has to
> > be made in the GPL so it can be linked with QPL code.  The problem here is
>
> What are those small exceptions?
>
> just-curious-;)-ly y'rs

Just stuff that's been bandied about without any real basis I think.

Cheers,
Rik

--
135. Displace the canon with attitude.