[techtalk] KDE license?

Ji Lee Ji at Yodlee.com
Thu Feb 10 22:21:17 EST 2000

On Thursday, February 10, 2000 6:56 PM, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> GPL states that GPL code can only link against closed-source libraries
> *if* those closed source libraries are distributed as a standard part of
> "the system".  That's why we never saw this problem when linking GPL code

Does that mean that no GPLed programs can be linked to commecial libraries
such as Oracle because Oracle library doesn't ship as a part of "the
system"?
I saw a few programs that will let you access Oracle which (I think) are
under GPL.
Maybe you could define exacly what "the system" means?

> has been certified as open source by groups like OSI and SPI.  However,
> the QPL is not 100% compatible with the GPL, so a small exception has to
> be made in the GPL so it can be linked with QPL code.  The problem here is

What are those small exceptions?

just-curious-;)-ly y'rs

     O  _  O
       | |